Roku is a digital media player made by the American Company Roku, Inc. They provide the user’s access to all the media content from the various online services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime etc. It was first introduced in collaboration with Netflix. It is one of the very popular digital media players that influenced low-cost, small form factor set-top boxes over top media consumption. Roku is also connected to a wired or wireless connection to your home network or any such network. As Roku devices require an internet or wi-fi connection to operate, there are times when people face some problems when their Roku is not connecting to their wi-fi. The internet connection can fluctuate, but there is a possibility of other issues responsible for the problems when Roku not connecting to wifi.
Issues faced while operating Roku Devices
Sometimes the network can be lost, or some other issues may arise in the router that would not allow the channels to be launched on the device or find disturbances while streaming channels. For example, if Roku not connecting to Wifi or getting access to the internet through the router, you would not be able to set up the device. In addition, at times, the network or internet connection is lost after your device is set up. In that case, you may not be able to launch channels that require an internet connection. You may also experience interruptions while streaming videos.
When your Roku is not working, then it could be really upsetting. But there is some quick fix for that. So, do not worry, and you can follow various methods as suggested below. There are some common wi-fi connection issues due to which several messages such as “Unable to connect to the wireless network,” “Checking,” “Not connected to the internet,” and “Loading” may appear on the screen.
How to Connect Roku to Wifi Without Remote?
In case you do not have the remote, you can still connect Roku with the wi-fi. You’ll be needing two things for this one is a mobile hotspot, and the other is a Roku App. So, in case, Roku not connected to Wifi and lost remote, go through the steps below for setting up the mobile hotspot:
- Open the settings of your mobile phone and click on “Mobile Hotspot.”
- Click on the “Set up Mobile Hotspot” to create the hotspot.
- Add a wi-fi name, password, and security of your hotspot.
- Select “OK” to activate your mobile hotspot.
For setting up the Roku app as a remote:
- Use another mobile phone (Do not use the one from where you are using the mobile hotspot)
- Open the Roku app and click on the “Remote” icon at the bottom of the screen.
- The remote layout is similar to the actual remote, and the functions keys play the same role.
Now, you can use this virtual remote to operate the Roku device. The mobile phone should be connected to the same device as your Roku. You have to open the Roku App, select “Devices,” select your “Roku Device,” and click on the remote icon. Your phone becomes a ready-to-use- remote. If it is not connected to the same wi-fi, use another phone for a hotspot with the same name and password as the wi-fi network.
How to fix when Roku TV Not Connecting to Wifi?
Follow the below simple methods and resolve all your Roku Wifi problems.
Method 1: Troubleshoot Method
- You have to troubleshoot the Roku connectivity issues by ensuring that all the hardware, such as cables and other wires, are properly connected to the network.
- Make sure that your Roku device is connected to the right device. Check whether you have entered the correct user name(wireless network name) and password. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
- Check if the MAC address filtering is turned on. You need to adjust the ACL/MAC address filtering to allow certain wireless devices to be added to your wi-fi.
Method 2: Check the speed of the internet Method
At times the speed of the network can be slow then you can follow the steps below to fix the speed of your network:
1. First, open the settings option on the Roku TV.
2. Click on the “Network”.
3. Click on the “Check Connection.” This will help monitor the internet connection’s speed and will let you know if the problem is due to a poor network.
Method 3: Re-establishing the Roku Device
- If both the speed and signal of the Wi-Fi is great, then shut all the other devices that are using the internet from the Wi-Fi at that time to provide maximum internet to the Roku.
- You could place the Wi-Fi near your Roku TV.
- Make sure the TV is within the range of the Wi-Fi. Do not put your Roku TV in an enclosed area.
- Do not connect other devices with the same Wi-Fi while your Roku TV is being used.
Method 4: Restarting the Roku Device
Sometimes due to some internal server issues, Roku TV might not connect to the Wi-Fi. Then you can try to restart the Roku TV to improve its performance. For that-
1. You need to go to the “Settings.”
2. Click on the “System” and click on the “System Restart.” This will help you to reboot the device. You can do this simultaneously by restarting the Wi-Fi as well. Usually, this solves the streaming issues most of the time. So, when your Roku stopped connecting to Wifi, restart the device and check before making any network complaints.
Method 5: Factory Reset the Roku Device
If the above methods do not work out, you can reset your Roku TV and set up the wireless connection again. To factory reset your Roku TV, here are the following steps:
1. Switch on your Roku TV and go to the “Settings.”
2. Click on” System” and then select the “Advanced System Settings”.
3. Click on the “Factory Reset” Button.
4. Enter the code shown on your TV screen.
5. Select “OK” to confirm the factory reset of your device.
This factory reset will remove all the changes you had made and change them to the default settings. Now your TV is new from the inside. You have to do the whole setup again to establish the connection between the Wi-Fi and the Ruko TV. Now enter the correct wireless network name and the password. After that, follow the steps below:
1. Switch on the screen by pressing the home button on your remote. Go to the “Settings.”
2. Using the remote, go to the “Network” and then select “Wireless.”
3. A list with the names of all the wireless networks nearby will appear, and you have to select the name of your Wi-Fi.
4. Click on the “OK” button to finish the procedure.
In case your Wi-Fi is password protected, then use the on-screen keyboard to enter the password. On clicking the “OK” button, the software will get downloaded to your Roku TV, and then your device will restart.
All the above methods will help you to reconnect your device with wi-fi. If still your Roku TV keeps disconnecting from Wifi, you can reset the remote and pair it with the device again.
Your Roku won’t connect to Wifi or Internet when the network is down or if the password is wrong or when there is something wrong with the Roku device.
Yes, to stream any content Internet access is required for Roku device. Most of the models offer wireless connection facility where you can connect Roku to your home network / Wifi. However, if you want wired connection you can go for the models which offers wired Ethernet connector.
1. Take your Roku remote and press the Home button 5 times.
2. Open the system secret settings, by pressing Fast Forward, Play, Rewind, Play, Fast Forward in order.
3. Now open Systems Operations and select “Disable Network Pings”
4. Finally, click Ok on your remote. If you see “Enable Network Pings” on the screen, you have successfully disabled the network pings on Roku.
1. Go to Settings > System
2. Select “Advanced System Settings”
3. Click on “Network Connection Reset”
4. Finally, choose “Done” to reboot your TV and disconnect from Wifi.
Yes Roku can connect to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi network modes.
All the Roku devices need a stable internet connection. So, facing network issues is quite normal when it comes to internet connections. But, like every problem has a solution, the problem of Roku not connecting to Wifi will also be solved by certain rebooting and troubleshooting tricks. These simple methods of re-establishing the connection between Roku and the wi-fi or home network are simple and user-friendly. So, make sure you go through these steps thoroughly and follow them as instructed to get your work done, enjoy non-stop streaming of channels, and watch several videos of your choice without any interruptions.